According to Tuju, more than 100 individuals accompanied by a private security firm forced their way into Dari Business Park, a property associated with his family. The complex currently houses businesses including Tamarind Restaurant.
Tuju said the group created chaos at the property before police from the local station intervened to restore order.
“If they had valid eviction orders, they needed not come with goons,” Tuju said, describing the incident as intimidation and an attempt to forcefully occupy his premises.
Debt dispute with regional bank
The eviction attempt is linked to a long-running dispute between Tuju and the East African Development Bank (EADB).
The conflict dates back to 2015, when Tuju reportedly took a loan of $9.3 million (about KSh 1.2 billion).
Due to accumulated interest and penalties, the debt is said to have grown to roughly KSh 4.5 billion.
Courts—including Kenya’s High Court of Kenya and Supreme Court of Kenya—have previously dismissed Tuju’s attempts to stop the auction of some of his assets.
Properties linked to the dispute include:
Entim Sidai Wellness Sanctuary
Tamarind Restaurant
Dari Business Park
Allegations of corruption and intimidation
Tuju claimed that the eviction efforts are part of a campaign by corrupt individuals within the bank and legal system.
He also revealed that investigations are underway by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission after four people—including a former judge—were allegedly arrested over claims they tried to solicit a bribe from him.
According to Tuju, the individuals had been in contact with him for weeks, claiming they were acting on behalf of a senior judicial officer.
Ongoing legal battle
Tuju’s lawyers are still pursuing the matter in court, with the case expected to be mentioned at the Court of Appeal of Kenya on March 16.
He also claims there is an active criminal case against the East African Development Bank pending before a court in Nairobi.
Tuju vows to resist eviction
Despite the legal setbacks, Tuju says he will continue fighting to protect what he calls his family property.
Earlier, he warned that anyone trying to take over the property would have to “kill me first” before succeeding.
The former Jubilee Party secretary general thanked supporters for their prayers and encouragement, saying the dispute has been a difficult journey for him and his family.
0 Comments