Speaking during an interview on Wednesday, March 25, Gachagua clarified that his long-standing political rivalry with the late Raila Odinga may have created a misleading perception among the public.
He emphasized that his disagreements were strictly political and never directed at the community itself.
“I have nothing personal with the Luo community. I have nothing but admiration; I have great admiration for the Luo community,” he stated.
“I have nothing personal with the Luo community. I have nothing but admiration; I have great admiration for the Luo community,” he stated.
Gachagua went on to highlight his personal and professional ties with individuals from the Nyanza region, noting that key figures from the community played a significant role in shaping his early career.
He recalled working under respected administrators such as Samuel Erick Oreta and Peter Raburu, who mentored him during his time in public service.
According to Gachagua, these relationships reflect a deeper connection with the region that goes beyond politics.
He argued that the narrative portraying him as hostile toward the Luo community is rooted in the highly charged nature of Kenya’s political contests, where leaders often exchange sharp criticism that can be misinterpreted as personal hostility.
Addressing questions about his absence from Bondo following Raila Odinga’s passing, Gachagua explained that protocol and respect for family arrangements have guided his actions.
Addressing questions about his absence from Bondo following Raila Odinga’s passing, Gachagua explained that protocol and respect for family arrangements have guided his actions.
He revealed that he had reached out to Ida Odinga to express his condolences and formally request an opportunity to visit.
“I did call Mama Ida Odinga; I passed my personal condolences to her, and we placed a request that we would like to go to Bondo,” he said, adding that he was advised to wait until an appropriate time is communicated.
The former deputy president noted that he had even prepared for the visit alongside a group of elders but chose to wait out of respect for the family’s wishes.
“I did call Mama Ida Odinga; I passed my personal condolences to her, and we placed a request that we would like to go to Bondo,” he said, adding that he was advised to wait until an appropriate time is communicated.
The former deputy president noted that he had even prepared for the visit alongside a group of elders but chose to wait out of respect for the family’s wishes.
He stressed that, as a leader, it would be inappropriate to visit without proper coordination.
Gachagua’s remarks come amid heightened political discourse, as leaders reposition themselves ahead of future electoral contests.
Gachagua’s remarks come amid heightened political discourse, as leaders reposition themselves ahead of future electoral contests.
His clarification appears aimed at easing tensions and reinforcing the distinction between political rivalry and personal relationships in Kenya’s evolving political landscape.
0 Comments