The claims were raised by Jane Mengich, the Member of County Assembly (MCA) for Seker Ward, who said several chiefs from the region were injured during the incident and later admitted to hospital.
Speaking to the media on Friday, Mengich alleged that the meeting had been convened by a local Assistant County Commissioner to address security issues in the area.
Chiefs and National Police Reservists from different parts of Sigor had reportedly gathered at the Deputy County Commissioner’s office for the meeting.
However, according to the MCA, the meeting took a dramatic turn when KDF officers attached to the ongoing security operation in the region allegedly stormed the venue and began beating the chiefs and reservists.
“I am angered by what happened at the headquarters of the DCC,” Mengich said.
“The DCC invited the chiefs and NPRs to his office, but before he could finish addressing them, KDF officers came in and beat them thoroughly.”
She added that the chiefs, including several assistant chiefs, were humiliated during the incident and many sustained injuries that required medical attention.
She added that the chiefs, including several assistant chiefs, were humiliated during the incident and many sustained injuries that required medical attention.
Some of them are reportedly receiving treatment in different hospitals across the county.
Mengich strongly condemned the alleged actions, questioning the justification for the treatment of the chiefs, who are government administrators responsible for maintaining order at the grassroots level.
“I am against the caning of chiefs. I do not see the mistake they made to deserve such treatment,” she said while calling for immediate action from the government.
The MCA has now urged Kipchumba Murkomen, the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, to launch a thorough investigation into the incident and ensure accountability if the claims are confirmed.
So far, neither the Kenya Defence Forces nor the Ministry of Interior has issued an official statement responding to the allegations.
KDF soldiers are currently deployed in parts of the North Rift under the ongoing security operation dubbed Operation Maliza Uhalifu.
Mengich strongly condemned the alleged actions, questioning the justification for the treatment of the chiefs, who are government administrators responsible for maintaining order at the grassroots level.
“I am against the caning of chiefs. I do not see the mistake they made to deserve such treatment,” she said while calling for immediate action from the government.
The MCA has now urged Kipchumba Murkomen, the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, to launch a thorough investigation into the incident and ensure accountability if the claims are confirmed.
So far, neither the Kenya Defence Forces nor the Ministry of Interior has issued an official statement responding to the allegations.
KDF soldiers are currently deployed in parts of the North Rift under the ongoing security operation dubbed Operation Maliza Uhalifu.
The mission aims to combat banditry, end cattle rustling, and recover illegal firearms in counties including West Pokot and neighbouring Elgeyo-Marakwet County.
Despite the operation’s objective of restoring security, it has faced increasing criticism from human rights groups and local leaders.
Despite the operation’s objective of restoring security, it has faced increasing criticism from human rights groups and local leaders.
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) has previously raised concerns about the conduct of multi-agency teams operating in the region.
The commission accused the teams of using excessive force, including what it described as accidental aerial strikes that allegedly destroyed homes and displaced families in affected areas.
Additional claims have also surfaced accusing security officers of shutting down water points and local markets that are vital to pastoralist communities.
The commission accused the teams of using excessive force, including what it described as accidental aerial strikes that allegedly destroyed homes and displaced families in affected areas.
Additional claims have also surfaced accusing security officers of shutting down water points and local markets that are vital to pastoralist communities.
In one controversial incident reported in January in Baringo County, security teams allegedly killed dozens of livestock, including cattle, camels, and goats.
The Kenya Army is reportedly conducting an internal investigation following growing complaints from residents and leaders regarding the conduct of security forces, although details about the progress of the probe remain unclear.
The Kenya Army is reportedly conducting an internal investigation following growing complaints from residents and leaders regarding the conduct of security forces, although details about the progress of the probe remain unclear.
0 Comments