The youths were protesting over the delayed release of the body of Nicholas Kyalo, who reportedly died after being swept away by raging floodwaters on March 6 during heavy rains that caused widespread destruction across the city.
Witnesses said the group forcefully entered the Nairobi City Mortuary while chanting their friend’s name and demanding that officials release the body so they could proceed with burial arrangements.
In a dramatic turn of events, the agitated youths grabbed a coffin believed to have been prepared for the deceased and ran out with it from the mortuary premises.
However, moments later they discovered that the casket was empty.
Realising the body was not inside, the group quickly returned to the mortuary, where they continued chanting Kyalo’s name and demanding that the facility release his remains immediately.
The unexpected incident caused confusion and temporarily disrupted operations at the mortuary as staff and mourners watched the dramatic scenes unfold.
Some of the youths claimed they had come with clear instructions from former Mike Sonko, the ex-governor of Nairobi County, who they said had offered to clear the mortuary bill so the body could be released to the family and friends.
One of the protesters said the group had been informed that Sonko had already allocated funds to settle outstanding charges at the facility.
“We have instructions from Mike Mbuvi Sonko. He has given us a budget to clear all the bills here at the mortuary,” one of the youths claimed while addressing the crowd.
Another member of the group explained that their actions were driven by grief and frustration after losing their friend in the deadly floods that recently affected several parts of Nairobi.
“We are just here to mourn our friend who passed away in the floods. We want the body,” another youth said.
The floods that hit Nairobi earlier in March left several people dead and caused major disruption in different parts of the city, highlighting the dangers posed by heavy rainfall and poor drainage systems in some neighbourhoods.
Authorities at the mortuary did not immediately comment on the incident, but operations resumed shortly after calm was restored.
0 Comments